Replacing the Upstream O2 sensor on a 2007-2012 Toyota Camry very much falls into the DIY category.
Of course, always call a professional if in doubt.
- New 02 Sensor
- 10mm socket
- 22mm wrench
- Copper anti-seize (Usually included with Sensor)
2007-2012 Toyota Camry 2.5L O2 Sensor On Amazon
Denso 234-4622 Downstream Oxygen Sensor with 12.5” Wire and 4-Terminal Plug
How to Remove and Install the Upstream O2 Sensor 2007-2012 Toyota Camry
- Follow the sensor wire and unplug the connector.
- Remove any wire-ties and clips.
- Slide a 22mm wrench over the wires and on to the O2 sensor. Give it a good pull counter-clockwise and unscrew it out.
- Match the old sensor to the new sensor making sure it is correct.
- A packet of anti-seize usually comes with the O2 sensor add a small amount to the threads of the new unit. Be sure to keep it on the thread and off the sensor tip.
- Hand tighten it in and thread it back into the engine.
- Tighten it with the 22mm wrench.
- Put the clip back on which keeps the wires away from the intake which gets very hot when the car is running.
- Put the wire connector back together.
Removing and installing a new O2 sensor very much falls into the backyard DIY category.
If the old sensor is rusted in place WD-40 or similar can go a long way in helping to get it to break loose.
The wire plug can sometimes be difficult to remove unless the air intake is pulled off.