It has been awhile since I have updated the progress on the 68 Charger project so I thought I would update the status.
I finally got the 360 bolted up with the Headers which was a pain.
I used the electronic ignition from the donor truck along with the wiring harness to fire it up.
It did start but is not getting spark at times which I need to find out why. Its likely something simple I just haven’t looked into to it much more yet.
While I originally was going to get the mechanical running first I lucked out in my best friend has gotten back into doing body work and has a full shop.
This is huge for me since I can borrow his expertise and equipment.
I am not going to do a complete tear down as most the body is in good shape minus one rear body panel.
So basically at this point I loaded it onto a trailer with my friends help and took it to his place to sand it down.
Mainly it will be sanded down to metal, most the dents fixed and primered.
I am still undecided on the color I want to paint it possibly black but just getting it up to a straight body and primed would be awesome right now.
Body work is not my strong point so I am going to be mainly doing the grunt work and relying on my friend for the detailed expertise.
Striping off all the old paint and rust is a lot of work but it is a lot of fun to imaging what it will look like when done.
Hopefully, we can get most the body work done within the next month and then I will begin working on the mechanical again.
Mechanically I most likely will have to have the transmission rebuilt and get a new torque converter.
The linkage also needs some more work.
I did install a temporary radiator but it came out of a Dodge truck and doesn’t fit well. I am keeping a eye out for the parts I will need for when the time comes to replace them. If I can’t find good used parts than I will have no other option than to buy the parts new.
I will add more updates when I have the time.