Replacing a bad headlight bulb on a 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla is a straightforward DIY task.
2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Headlight Bulb Types
- 9005 Hi-beam
- 9006 Low-beam
A 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla uses a 9005 for hi-beam and a 9006 for low-beam.
Replacement bulbs can be bought online or at a local auto parts store.
Example 9006 Low-Beam Headlight Bulb on Amazon
Philips 9006 Vision Upgrade Headlight Bulb with up to 30% More Vision, 2 Pack
Example 9005 High-Beam Headlight Bulb on Amazon
SYLVANIA 9005 SilverStar High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb
When replacing any headlight bulb, be sure not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers, as oil from your hands can create a hot spot that shortens the life of the bulb.
How to Replace the Headlight Bulb on a 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla
- On the driver’s side, you will need to remove a plastic clip. The passenger side is easier as it does not have it.
- Remove the clip using a screwdriver underneath it to pry it up.
- Pull it out and put it to the side.
- Pull the plastic piece that is connected to the air filter to the side; that way, you have better access to reach out the bulb.
- Reach in behind the bulb and turn it counterclockwise to remove it.
- Unplug the connector.
- Install a new bulb and plug it back in the connector.
- Putting it back together is the same as removing it, only in reverse.
- After replacing the headlight bulb, the plastic clip needs to go back in place.
- After putting everything back together, test the lights, which should now work.