There are two metal tabs on the to of each headlight that pull up to release the entire headlight assembly.
The headlight assembly is pulled out and the bulbs can be reached from the back.
As always if in doubt take your vehicle to a professional.
Below are the steps with screenshots to replace them along with a video at the bottom of the post if needed for a visual walk through.
Tools and Parts Needed
- New Headlight Bulb
- Flat Blade Screwdriver
2002-09 GMC Envoy Headlight Bulb on Amazon
Philips 9006 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack
When replacing any headlight bulb be sure not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers, as oil from your hands can create a hot spot that shortens the life of the bulb.
How To Replace the Headlight Bulb on a 2002-09 GMC Envoy
- Pull the hood release to pop the hood open.
- Lift your hood up and support it.
- Go to the headlight that you want to replace and lift up on two tabs holding the assembly in place and pull up.
- If the tabs are difficult use pair of pliers to pull them up.
- Once you pull them up slide the headlight assembly out.
- Use a flat-blade screwdriver pry out on the tab for the wiring and disconnect the harness. The bulbs twist counterclockwise and pulls out.
- Remove the headlight bulb for either the low or high-beam by pulling off the boot and twisting the bulb counter clockwise and pulling out.
- Lift up on the tab on the harness then disconnect it.
- Push your new bulb into place and twist it clockwise back into the assembly and replace the boot.
- Push the headlight assembly back into place.
- Once you have it lined up just push down the two tabs.
- After that you may have to adjust the angle of the lights just turn this counterclockwise to raise the light or clockwise to lower it.