Replacing the headlight bulb on a 2014-2019 Chevy Silverado is an easy task that falls in the DIY category.
As always if in doubt take your vehicle to a professional.
The driver side is much easier to get access to the bulb with nothing to move out of the way.
Below are the steps with screenshots to replace them along with a video if needed for a visual walk through.
Tools and Parts Needed
- New Headlight Bulb
- Flat-blade Screwdriver
- Small Pair of Cutters
- Phillips screwdriver
A flat-blade and Phillips screwdrivers are needed to remove the bulbs.
A small pair of cutters is also good to have to remove wire ties and plastic holders on the electrical wires.
Headlight Bulb Type for 2013-2017 Chevy Silverado
- Low Beam Headlight Bulb: H11
- High Beam Headlight Bulb: 9005
Replacement bulbs can be bought online or a local auto parts store.
Always verify your car year, make, and model when buying any car parts to be sure it matches.
Also, verify the old bulb when it is removed from the car with the new bulb.
H11 Low-Beam Headlight Bulb on Amazon
SYLVANIA – H11 XtraVision – High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, High Beam, Low Beam and Fog Replacement Bulb (Contains 2 Bulbs)
9005 high Beam Headlight Bulb on Amazon
SYLVANIA – 9005 XtraVision – High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, High Beam, Low Beam and Fog Replacement Bulb (Contains 2 Bulbs)
When replacing any headlight bulb be sure not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers, as oil from your hands can create a hot spot that shortens the life of the bulb.
How to Replace Headlight Bulb 2014-2019 Chevy Silverado
- Open the hood and locate the bulb behind the headlight assembly.
- The passenger side requires removing the air box using a phillips screwdriver or 8mm socket.
- (Passenger side only) Remove the electrical plug and use a flat-blade screwdriver to remove the hose.
- (Passenger side only) Remove the air filter.
- (Passenger side only) Remove the air filter box
- Remove the plastic clips on the cover. (Use a flat-blade screwdriver to pop them out.)
- Use a cutter to remove the clips holding the electrical wires in place.
- Remove the bulb cover turning it counter-clockwise.
- Remove the bulb electric connector by pressing the tab and pulling.
- Remove the bulb assembly by turning it counter-clockwise
- Install the new bulb turning it clockwise.
- Reattach the electrical.
- Reattach the small cover turning it clockwise. (The back of the cover has arrows for open and lock.)
- Reattach the air filter assembly.
- Test the bulb.
It is not difficult to replace the head-light bulb on a 2014-2019 Chevy Silverado but call a knowledgeable friend or professional if in doubt.
Climates age cars differently which can affect bolts being rusted or other possible problems.
A vehicle that was in an accident may also have some type of unforeseen problem.
Remember not to touch the bulb itself with your hands as it will cause a hot spot that burns the bulb out faster than usual.