Replacing the headlight bulb on a 2014–2016 Chevrolet Malibu is an easy task that falls in the DIY category.
The driver side has the windshield wiper fluid fill in the way, which simply pulls out.
The passenger side has easier access to get to behind the bulb cover.
Below are the steps with screenshots to replace them, along with a video if needed for a visual walk-through.
As always, if in doubt, take your vehicle to a professional.
2014–2016 Chevy Malibu Headlight Bulb Type
- 9005 Headlight Bulb
No tools are needed, only a new 9005 headlight bulb. Tools are only needed if there is corrosion on the vehicle.
Example 9005 Headlight Bulb on Amazon
9005 LED Headlight Bulb
When replacing any headlight bulb, be sure not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers, as oil from your hands can create a hot spot that shortens the life of the bulb.
How to Replace Headlight Bulb 2014–2016 Chevy Malibu
- Open the hood and locate the bulb behind the headlight assembly.
- (Driver side only) Remove the windshield water fluid fill sprout by pulling it up.
- (Driver side only) The whole sprout will pull out.
- Remove the headlight bulb cover by turning counter-clockwise.
- Turn the bulb assembly counter-clockwise.
- Press the clip on the electrical plug and pull out the old bulb.
- Insert the new bulb
- Insert the bulb cover turning clockwise.
- Test the bulb.
It is not difficult to replace the headlight bulb on a 2014–2016 Chevy Malibu but call a knowledgeable friend or professional if in doubt.
2014, 2015, and 2016 Chevy Malibu is listed as using a 9005 headlight bulb type but be sure to always double-check.
Climates can age cars differently, which can affect bolts being rusted or other possible problems.
A vehicle that was in an accident may also have some type of unforeseen problem.
Remember not to touch the bulb itself with your hands as it will cause a hot spot that burns the bulb out faster than usual.