Fortunately, as long as they are repaired quickly the chip should not turn in to a large crack which would require an entire new window.
That is the main crucial part of repairing a chip is to repair it quickly so a bump in the road doesn’t turn it into an expensive repair.
Doing it yourself is a straight forward DIY task that saves on money and can be done by most anyone.
For the steps below a windshield repair kit will be needed.
Windshield Repair Kit on Amazon
Permatex 09103 Windshield Repair Kit
- Park the vehicle in a shaded area so the windshield is not overly hot and clean the area. Pour alcohol on a rag to clean the spot dont spray directly on the area simply wet the cloth and wipe it clean.
- Use a tack to clean out any loose glass.
- Take the round pad and peel off the strip. Stick the pad on the windshield so the chip is in located at the center of the hole.
- Once it is centered peel off the sticky.
- Take the long tube and stick it to the pad.
- Next get the resin and cut the tip off.
- The resin is inserted into the tube and 3/4 of the resin is squeezed in.
- Push the syringe into the opening.
- After the syringe is in place it is pulled up on which pulls all the air out of the space creating a vacuum. As per the directions let it sit for 10 minutes.
- As you wait, looking at the chip from the inside you will be able to see air bubbles being pulled out.
- Once ten minutes has gone by the syringe needs to push a force down on to the damaged spot. To do this remove syringe letting in air, than reinsert it and push down. As per the directions wait 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes the assembly can be removed. The part that stuck to the window may need a razor blade to help remove it.
- Take the leftover resin and put a drop on the crack.
- Take the flat yellow piece and place it on top. Let it sit for 1 hour.
- After it dries remove the yellow square and use a razor to remove any leftover substance.
- After it is cleaned the crack should be gone.
Fixing a chipped cracked window is a straight forward process.
The main thing to remember is to follow the direction exactly on the package.
Temperature can also play a role in how well the resin dries and does what its supposed to do.
Have you fixed a chipped windshield before? Let us know your experience in the comments below.