Fortunately, as long as they are repaired quickly, the chip should not turn into a large crack which would require an entirely new window.
That is the main crucial part of repairing a chip to repair it quickly, so a bump in the road doesn’t turn it into an expensive repair.
Doing it yourself is a straightforward DIY task that saves on money and can be done by almost anyone.
For the steps below, a windshield repair kit will be needed.
How to Repair a Windshield Chip or Crack
- Park the vehicle in a shaded area, so the windshield is not overly hot, and clean the area. Pour alcohol on a rag to clean the spot; do not spray directly on the area; simply wet the cloth and wipe it clean.
- Use a tack to clean out any loose glass.
- Take the round pad and peel off the strip. Stick the pad on the windshield so the chip is located at the center of the hole.
- Once it is centered, peel off the sticky cover.
- Take the long tube and stick it to the pad.
- Next, get the resin and cut the tip-off.
- The resin is inserted into the tube, and 3/4 of the resin is squeezed in.
- Push the syringe into the opening.
- After the syringe is in place, it is pulled up on, which pulls all the air out of the space creating a vacuum. As per the directions, let it sit for 10 minutes.
- As you wait, looking at the chip from the inside, you will be able to see air bubbles being pulled out.
- Once ten minutes have gone by, the syringe needs to push a force down onto the damaged spot. To do this, remove the syringe, let in air, then reinsert it and push it down. As per the directions, wait 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the assembly can be removed. The part that stuck to the window may need a razor blade to help remove it.
- Take the leftover resin and put a drop on the crack.
- Take the flat yellow piece and place it on top. Let it sit for 1 hour.
- After it dries, remove the yellow square and use a razor to remove any leftover substance.
- Once it is cleaned, the crack should be gone.
Fixing a chipped, cracked window is a straightforward process.
The main thing to remember is to follow the direction exactly on the package.
Temperature can also play a role in how well the resin dries and does what its supposed to do.
Have you fixed a chipped windshield before? Let us know your experience in the comments below.