To change out the fuel filter on a 1998 – 2005 Volkswagen Passat the following tools are needed.
- Ratchet with Sockets
- New Fuel Filter
Here is the fuel filter on Amazon.
Beck Arnley 043-0805 Fuel Filter
Steps to replacing the fuel filter.
- The fuel filter will be located on the passenger side. It is under the car on the frame in front of the tire. The car will need to be jacked up to get to it. Be sure to put blocks under the car in case the jack fails.
- There is a plastic guard that helps to protect the pump from road debris that needs to be removed.
Using a ratchet/socket or wrench remove the bolts that hold it in place.
- Once the guard is removed the fuel filter can be seen with two bolts holding it into place. The two hoses (in and out) will be held in place with clamps. Often the bolts must be removed to be able to remove the clamps. Remove the two bolts. (Be careful of any pressure in the line when the clamps are removed.) Remove the two clamps with a screw driver releasing the hoses.
- Fuel filters have a direction they must point or they will not work correctly. This can be indicated with a arrow or sometime the words in and out printed on the pump. The IN is from the gas tank while the OUT is to the engine. If a arrow is used then be sure it is pointed to the fount of the car toward the engine.
- Remove the metal fuel filter holder and slide it onto the new one.
- Connect the hoses first before bolting it into place. Be sure the gas flow direction (in out) is right.
- After the hoses are connected bolt the two bolts into place and bolt the plastic guard back on.
Replacing the fuel filter on a 1998-2005 Volkswagen Passat is not hard but does require some skill with using tools.
As always be careful of hazards. Gas is extremely flammable and some will leak out. Also be sure the car is secured properly before crawling under it.
Also it is always a good idea to prime the fuel line and pump after replacing it otherwise the car can sometimes crank for a while until the pressure builds back into the line, from the fuel pump.
To prime a fuel filter line simply turn the key to the on position for 2-3 seconds than off. Do this a few times and gas will build back up in the fuel filter and fuel line and the car should start right up.