If you have a Tesla Model S with a bad headlight bulb, they can be changed out by a DIY type of person.
Replacing the headlight bulb on Tesla is no different than many new modern cars.
Some Tesla Model S owners turn the wheel all the way to the left and can get the bulb out, but it is a tight fit.
Example Tesla Model S Headlight Bulb D3S on Amazon
Philips 42302C1 D3S Standard Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack
- Flat Head Screw Driver
How To Replace Headlight Bulb Tesla Model S (2012-2016 Gen 1)
- Remove the wheel and set the vehicle on jacks.
- Remove the inserts that hold the plastic inside the wheel well.
- Pull the plastic inside the wheel well back slow and look for an attached temperature sensor and UN-clip it.
- Remove the plastic inside the wheel well and set it to the side.
- Remove the felt layer.
- The bulb is located behind the round rubber piece.
- Pull the rubber out to get to the bulb.
- Reach behind the bulb and turn the ring counterclockwise, and the bulb will pull out.
- Remove the wire attached to the bulb.
- Transfer the plastic ring to the new bulb.
- Reattach the wire and go in reverse order to install the new bulb.
Replacing the headlight bulb on a Tesla Model S is not difficult but if in doubt, be sure to take your vehicle to a professional.
The tire will usually need to be removed to get to the bulb.
Some owners say they can get to the bulb without removing the tire and turning the wheel all the way to the inside.
Most owners will likely need to remove the tire as it is a tight space to remove with the tire on.
Once the tire is removed, a plastic cover will be in the way that will need the inserts removed.
The bulb is then located behind a rubber cover which will pull out.
Turn the bulb ring counterclockwise wise to the left to remove it.
Have you replaced the bulb on a Tesla Model S? Let us know your thoughts below.