Removing the headlight assembly is sometimes easier by removing the center plastic from the bumper.
While not necessary removing the three plastic tabs allows the headlight assembly to be removed and installed back much easier.
As always if in doubt take your vehicle to a professional.
Below are the steps with screenshots to replace them along with a video if needed for a visual walk-through.
Tools and Parts Needed
- New Headlight Bulb
- 10mm socket
- Flathead Screwdriver
A 10mm socket or wrench is needed to remove two bolts.
A Flathead screwdriver may also be needed to help remove parts.
2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt Standard Budget Headlight Bulb on Amazon
Philips 9007 Standard Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1
2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt Performance Headlight Bulb on Amazon
SYLVANIA – 9007 SilverStar Ultra – High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, High Beam, Low Beam and Fog Replacement Bulb, Brightest Downroad with Whiter Light, Tri-Band Technology (Contains 2 Bulbs)
When replacing any headlight bulb be sure not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers, as oil from your hands can create a hot spot that shortens the life of the bulb.
How to Replace Headlight Bulb 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt
- Open the hood and the headlight assembly.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts on the top of the headlight assembly.
- Pull the headlight assembly out by pushing down on the bumper and removing it.
- At the back of the headlight assembly remove the bulb. (The one on the right in the picture is the headlight bulb)
- Remove the eclectic plug from the bulb assembly. (There is two clips on the sides.)
- Remove the headlight bulb from the retainer.
- Insert the new Bulb.
- Insert the retainer and turn it clockwise to lock the bulb in place.
- Push the electrical plug on to the new bulb.
- Install the headlight assembly back into place.
- Install the two 10mm bolts.
- Test the lights which should now work.
It is not difficult to replace the headlight bulb on a 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt but call a knowledgeable friend or professional if in doubt.
Climates age cars differently which can affect bolts being rusted or other possible problems.
A vehicle that was in an accident may also have some type of unforeseen problem.
Remember not to touch the bulb itself with your hands as it will cause a hot spot that burns the bulb out faster than usual.